Why you should choose soy wax for your candles
Soy wax is a renewable resource that can be used in candles with very little adverse impact on the environment. Find out more about this sustainable alternative and why we're proud to use it in our candles at sent.
There are a lot of different types of waxes used in candle making, which can make it overwhelming and confusing when you’re on the market for a new candle! You may have heard of some of the common waxes, such as paraffin wax, beeswax, and bayberry wax to name a few. So, what are the benefits of soy wax compared to other waxes? In this blog post, we will discuss why soy wax is the best option when picking out your candles and why we choose to use 100% soy wax in our candles.
- Sustainable and biodegradable: Soy wax is a renewable resource as it is made from soybeans, which are a sustainable crop. This means that they can be grown constantly without depleting the planet’s resources. Being a vegetable-based wax, soy wax is also naturally biodegradable and vegan-friendly, meaning its disposal is Mother Nature approved!
- Gives a non-toxic, clean burn: As a pure and natural resource, soy wax offers a cleaner burn compared to other types of waxes. Soy wax candles are non-toxic and vegetable-derived, so, therefore, do not produce the same harmful by-products or black soot that other waxes do. Therefore, they help maintain clean air quality, making them the safer option for households with little ones and pets, and overall, for anyone who wants to protect their respiratory health.
- Longer, more even burn-time: Soy wax has a low melting point, meaning it burns well and forms an even pool of wax, even in cooler environments. This allows a slower burn with a much stronger aroma than other types of waxes. What this also means is that you’ll get more use out of your candle, making soy wax candles the more cost-effective choice in the long run.
Why choose soy wax over paraffin wax?
Paraffin wax is the most commonly used form of candle wax and you’ll likely find it in many populWar candles on the market. We’ll explain more about why soy wax is the better alternative to paraffin wax.
- Unsustainable and non-renewable: Firstly, paraffin wax is a petroleum product, which means it’s not renewable or sustainable for the environment. In fact, it is made by processing crude oil (a fossil fuel!) and other petroleum-based materials. This makes paraffin wax an environmentally unsustainable option.
- Non-biodegradable: Being a byproduct of fossil fuels, paraffin wax is therefore not biodegradable. This means that it can take hundreds of years for paraffin wax to naturally degrade. Furthermore, after burning, paraffin wax-based candles leave behind a residue in the environment. When this comes into contact with air or oxygen in the water, it emits toxic fumes. This brings us to our next point.
- Toxic: Paraffin wax contains a number of harmful chemicals, including benzene and toluene. These chemicals can cause a variety of health problems, from cancer to respiratory problems. When burnt, paraffin wax releases carcinogenic substances which cause air pollution to homes as well as the environment.
With all this in mind, we hope you have gained adequate knowledge to pick out the candle wax that is right for you and your home. At sent, we aim to create memories and experiences through our unique scents without compromising on the environment and your health. This is why we choose to use only 100% soy wax in our candles, which is sustainable, non-toxic and cost-effective. Make the switch to soy wax candles today!